Friday, October 21, 2022

Mindfulness

 


My last few posts have focused on my first question, so I would like to write this post on my second question “What can I do to "stay fresh" while taking a short break from teaching?” As I read one of my colleagues responses this week I was drawn to an article they read called Teaching as Contemplative Professional Practice. In this article Falkenberg (2012) teaches us how to become more mindful and describes the benefits to doing this, especially as an educator.

According to Falkenberg (2012), teaching as a contemplative professional Practice requires 3 elements, an ethical element, a noticing element and a mindfulness element.

The ethical element breaks down the idea that teaching is “moral endeavour for the betterment of all living beings embedded within a holistic view of human living” (p. 30).

The noticing element consists of recognizing teaching situations that may trigger you, develop an alternative way to react, notice the warning signs when these reactions are present and changing how we react.

The mindfulness element is when the educator is “in a state of non-judgmental, pre-conceptual conscious awareness of the inner-life experiences in the moment while being engaged in her teaching” (p.30). Mindfulness helps you become more aware of the person you are while you are teaching.

For me the conclusion I’ve drawn from this article is that in order to be truly reflective and a contemplative educator you must get in touch with your inner life. One way to do this is to practice mindfulness on a regular basis.

Seated meditation “is a tool to develop better attentional capacity” (Falkenberg, 2012, p. 27). Bringing awareness to everything around you and inside you during a meditation helps you become aware of these same things in your everyday life. For my own professional and personal development, I am committing to 1 month of 5-minute mindfulness practice per day (seated meditation, mindful eating or walking). Anyone want to join me?

 

Reference:

Thomas Falkenberg. (2012). Teaching as Contemplative Professional Practice. Philosophical Inquiry in Education20(2), 25–35. https://journals.sfu.ca/pie/index.php/pie/article/view/283

No comments:

Post a Comment

Growth

  “Reflection as a way of life”. I think it is important to really read this statement moving forward and realize that you need to make time...